Kastoria, Agioi Anargyroi (Kosmas and Damianos)
Fresco of Nave, north wall, Military saints George and Demetrios, c. 1180.
This small basilica was built and first decorated in the eleventh century. Frescoes from this decorative phase are found in the narthex.
At the end of the 12th century, the church was redecorated under the patronage of Theodore Lemniotes and his wife.
One of the motivations for this donation, according to a lengthy poem in the narthex, was the failing health of the donor.
The selection of two healing saints, "anargyroi," for the dedication of the church certainly reflects Theodore's medical concerns.
Back to the coloured image of George and Demetrios. Kastoria, Agioi Anargyroi (Kosmas and Damianos) Fresco of Nave, north wall